Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 2: Am I Taking This Seriously Enough?

As far as I know, today went fine. I had lunch with family and got a scramble with eggs, vegetables, black beans, chicken and potatoes. As far as I know, all of that is fine. But I don't know if that's all that was in there. I didn't get the cheese or the sour cream or the toast. I didn't put creamer in my coffee or ketchup on my potatoes. I avoided everything I know I should, but I didn't ask exactly how the potatoes or chicken or eggs were prepared and whether it involved any milk or butter or something that could carry sulfites. Since any allergies I have haven't caused a serious, acute reaction so far, I'm not as motivated to seek out every single ingredient in everything I eat as I would be if there was a serious possibility of my airway closing. This is good, but it also means I'm not treating this like my life depends on it, and it leads me wonder whether I'm doing enough.

My breathing has been kind of cruddy the past couple of days. Not the worst it's ever been, but I'd say a 6 or 7 if 10 was the worst. There was a time a few weeks ago when I strictly avoided everything that could cause me a problem for about five days. By the end of that, I was feeling pretty good (which is why I tend to think food has something to do with my breathing in the first place). But right now, while I'm trying to avoid the potential problems while waiting to feel better, I'm having a hard time believing I'm doing the right stuff and that I should give it more time to kick in. Last night I was in Barnes & Noble looking at allergy books, and one had an elimination diet that's different from the one I'm doing, and another, written by an MD, sided with the allergist I saw and said that asthma is not related to food allergies. I started getting overwhelmed and wondering whether what I was doing was right, and I finally had to just put them all back and walk away. I really don't know if what I'm doing is going to help, but it's only temporary, and it's almost certainly not going to hurt, so I'm going to give myself until next weekend before getting concerned if I'm not feeling a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment