Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 7: Cooking Time - Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Stir-fry

I felt pretty good today. Still some tightness, but mostly pretty clear. And I behaved myself. At least I think so...

I spent some time in the kitchen today making food I know I can eat. The main dish was a sweet potato and cauliflower stir-fry that goes something like this:

1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into florets/bite-size chunks
1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. turmeric
4 tbsp. olive oil (or peanut oil, if you're not trying to avoid the damn things)
2 Serrano peppers, seeded and diced
10 oz. frozen spinach
1 can light coconut milk
salt to taste

Boil the cauliflower and sweet potatoes until tender; drain and set aside
In a food processor, combine the cilantro, Serrano peppers, turmeric and 2 tbsp. olive oil and process into a chunky paste
Steam the spinach; drain and set aside
Heat a wok, dutch oven or large skillet to medium-high heat
Add the remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil
Once the oil is hot, add the cilantro paste and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant
Add the sweet potatoes and cauliflower and stir until coated with the paste
Add the spinach and coconut milk and stir until well combine
Add salt to taste
Simmer until heated through
Serve on its own or over brown rice

Makes 4 reasonably generous servings

I made a pot of this yesterday and have eaten at least three of the four servings. I'll be sad to see it go...

No comments:

Post a Comment