Saturday, March 6, 2010

Background

In spring of 2007 I started having trouble breathing out of nowhere. It wasn't a crisis, but I just couldn't get a good, deep breath. I was diagnosed with asthma, given an albuterol inhaler and referred to an allergist. Based on skin-prick tests I was told I was highly allergic to soy, peanuts, peas, lima beans and almonds, and a little less allergic to rice, lobster and navy beans. According to the skin tests, I was also allergic to cats, most trees, grasses, weeds and house dust.

I gave up all of the foods I was told I was allergic to, cleaned up my apartment and got an air filter, but the breathing didn't get any better. I was cranky from not being able to eat so many things I loved, so I chalked the breathing up to the bad air quality in Los Angeles, and that's where it left off.

Since then I've moved from LA to Seattle and my breathing has gone through phases of being being fine and phases of being difficult. Lately, it's been difficult. When I couldn't handle 10 easy minutes on the stationary bike because I couldn't get enough air, I decided it was time to finally handle this for real, so I went back to the doctor, where I got referrals for another round of allergy testing and a lung function test, and a prescription for an inhaled medication used for COPD patients. According to the recent skin test I'm still highly allergic to soybeans, peanuts and almonds, and he added hazelnuts and sesame to the list (and, of course, the dust, the trees and the cats). The allergist doesn't seem to think the food allergies have anything to do with the asthma (I don't necessarily agree). He prescribed a different inhaled medication for COPD patients, along with an EpiPen, in case any of my allergies go anaphylactic. According to the lung function test, my lung volume and function are good, but according to the tech there's something about the ratio of the two that is not right and points to an obstruction. I haven't had a follow-up appointment to know what the pulmonologist says.

So far I know the following:
1. Something (or things) makes my body mad
2. It's not in my head (thank you, respiratory tech)

I guess it's a start...

No comments:

Post a Comment