Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 8: I'm Allergic to School, but not to Mediterranean Pasta

On Thursday I was handed two take-home finals due this coming week, so I spent the afternoon at the library at school, like a good student. Due to budget cuts, they kicked everyone out of the library at 5:00, but there is a small bank of computers for students in my department down the hall, so I camped out there for awhile after getting the boot. It was great in that I got another three hours of work done, but I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to something in that room. Within about half an hour I could feel my chest starting to tighten and pretty soon I was having to do my big, dramatic yawn routine to get the air I wanted. By the time I left, I was a mess. More than four hours later, I still am. I hate taking an albuterol inhaler (I feel like it makes me crazy without helping my breathing much), but I've taken it twice tonight, for the first time in at least six months. I used a tincture that I got from the naturopath two or three times. I still can't breathe. It's driving me insane. I'm really hoping things will have calmed down by the time I wake up in the morning.

On the plus side, I made some good pasta for dinner...

Mediterranean Pasta:

1/2 package rice pasta (I used TJ's fusilli, or something similar)
1/2 small jar sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
1 14.5 ounce can garbanzo beans
1 package frozen broccoli florets
approximately 20 kalamata olives
1 small can anchovies (if you're into that kind of thing)
salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste

Bring a quart or two of salted water to a boil
Add the pasta and cook until just tender
Drain and set aside
Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 2-3 tbsp. water and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until hot, but not mushy
Drain and set aside
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat
Add the sun-dried tomatoes in their oil
Open, drain and rinse the garbanzo beans
Add them to the pan with the tomatoes
Slice the kalamata olives in half and add them to the pan with the tomatoes and garbanzos
Add the pasta and the broccoli to the pan and stir until heated through
Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and/or anchovies to taste
Makes 2-3 servings

I still can't breathe, but I enjoyed the hell out of dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment